Maria Laura Pardo, dancer and international choreographer had a dream to open a space where little girls could not only learn the best dance techniques, but could also grow in their values, open their hearts to our community, and expand into better human beings
Danceworks opened its doors in February 2003, and now, 11 years later has influenced positively in the lives of thousands of girls over the years!
With three open academies in Escazú, San Pedro and Cartago, Marila (as the girls call María Laura, their director) currently works with her 550 students so they can become versatile dancers in all the different techniques, but also to remember always to love and respect themselves, and be open to share all the blessings they have with others
My daughter started on her competition team when she was 9 years old, and one of the things that I value the most from all this experience, is not only that Marila has opened the chance to participate on international competitions, but I am deeply grateful that she has provided a second family for Avi, where she learns about life values, motivation, friendship, to cherish every minute life gives you, and most of all, to be grateful every day, and always take time to help others in need.
In this day and age, where life is happening so fast, and our children are exposed to so many things that are out of our reach, Danceworks has been a light shining bright to help our girls always find their north in life!
Every year, Danceworks donates part of its income to a different social cause, and through all the time, efforts and love of everyone in the Danceworks family, they have been able to reach out and make a big real difference in our country.
Some of the causes they have helped are:
1. Asociación Alimentando Esperanzas: which takes care of feeding under privileged children every day, who other wise would go hungry
2. Unidad de Trauma del Hospital Nacional de Niños: the Trauma unit of our National Children´s hospital receives all kids under 15 years old that have been involved in accidents.
3. Asociación Lucha Contra el Cancer infantil: aids in the fight of cancer in children
4. Fundación Giamala: Created to give help and support to teenagers with cancer
5. APRENA: a private foundation that aid the neonatology unit of the children´s hospital (like purchasing incubators and other equipment for newborns)
6. Fundación Alianza por tus Derechos, among others
Besides all the donations, the Danceworks students give free presentations to the National Children´s Hospital, to bring joy and ease the pain of the hospitalized kids (plus gifts gathered by them!), also participated in the fight against violence against women, with their participation in the One Billion Rising campaign, and most recently, in their participation of the Good Deeds awareness day
If all leaders of our younger generations really took the time to inspire our children to go above and beyond, and do greater things for others, can you imagine how amazing our world would be?
More at: http://www.teletica.com/entretenimiento/45483-Jovenes-toman-San-Jose-para-incentivar-las-buenas-acciones.note.aspx